Below is a list of our events.
Focused N FIT – LA Trade Tech College – May 4, 2019
*LIMITED To High school Juniors & Seniors and College Freshman & Sophomores in the Los Angeles area
*Registration for this event is REQUIRED. Contact us at info@ANewDayFoundation.net to receive the required registration packet & conference information. All completed applications must be received by APRIL 4, 2019.
The A New Day Foundation - Focused N F.I.T. For A Different World program reception
A Foundation presentation for potential program partners and sponsors of the Spring 2018 day long Focused N F.I.T. For A Different World conference on the USC Campus. Some of those in attendance: A New Day Board and program team: Arnold Hackett – Xerox, George Gibbs – UPS, Cheri Haft – The Haft Group, Collin Hinds – LMU, Camille LaGrange – CCEE, Dr. Michele Turner – USC. Potential Program Partners: Angeles Echols – Educating Young Minds, Katiuska DelGado Kirkwood – Junior Achievement, Robert Sausedo – Supervisor Ridley-Thomas off., Keith Drake – Torrey Pines Bank, Ronnie Walker – Omega Psi Phi, Dan Braxton – Omega Psi Phi, George Taylor – Omega Psi Phi, John W. Mack – LAUL Emeritus, Lisa Cagnolatti – SoCal Edison, La Shawn Stanford – UPS, Bonita Pilgram-Perkins – UPS, Erica Stafford – UPS, Ki Ki Sheperd – KIS Foundation and Jennifer Childress – UNCF.
The Focused N F.I.T. For A Different World program is geared toward Low and Moderate Income (LMI) underserved college (Freshman & Sophomore) and college-bound high school (Junior & Senior) students. Focused N F.I.T. is designed to engage, inform and empower these students by educating them on how to afford entering and completing college; develop responsible and profitable economic habits; and maximize their college education and entrepreneurial pursuits by helping them utilize technology to access the world market.
The Focused N F.I.T. For A Different World day-long conference utilizes a four prong interactive exchange between Dawnn Lewis, high school and college students, financial and technology literacy partners and community members that includes:
1. Focused N F.I.T. For A Different World Live Event
- Student Audience: 60% high school, 40% college; Invited Parents
- Dawnn shares insights of her broad career and entrepreneurial experience and highlights of starring in A Different World, as well as how it affected and changed her life in order to “shock the mindset” and motivate the attendees toward their own successful outcomes
- Moderated panel discussion with Dawnn and Financial/Technology Literacy Partners
- Q&A between student audience members & panel
2. Focused N F.I.T. For A Different World POST LIVE EVENT WORKSHOPS
- Financial Literacy Partners lead incubator workshops for attending students, in hands-on examples of successful life practices and opportunities such as: budgeting, money management, credit as well as available grants, scholarships & student loans, College as a realistic option (getting into & staying in college)
- Technology Literacy Partners lead incubator workshops for attending students, in examples of successful careers & practices –ie. Coding, programming, applying technology to what is learned in school – transforming concepts into businesses
- Aids Healthcare Foundation leads incubator workshops for LMI high school students in how to identify, address and prevent poor sexual choices that could derail their lives
3. PARENT / GUARDIAN INFORMATIONAL SESSIONS
- Financial Literacy Partners & CCEE lead workshops for attending parents/guardians in how to prepare and apply for available grants, student loans, scholarships and necessary exams, making College a realistic option for their child.
- Technology Literacy Partners lead workshops for attending parents/guardians on how to use technology to research, prepare and apply for available grants, scholarships and mentor/intern programs available in the Technology field.
4. SCHOLARSHIP & CLOSING CEREMONY
- Scholarship Dollars awarded to High School & College Students
- Opportunity for students to “share” insights from the day’s experience
The A New Day Foundation’s Focused N F.I.T. program is collaborating with other non profit organizations that provide services for at-risk youth: Junior Achievement, Aids Healthcare Foundation, UNCF, Brotherhood Crusade, EMPOWHER Institute, LAUSD, Omega Psi Phi – Youth Leadership Conference, Educating Young Minds, USC Black Alumni; whose students will be among those participating in the daylong conference.
GOALS, OBJECTIVES, AND TIME LINE OF PROJECT
The immediate objective is to launch the program on the USC Campus May 26th, 2018. The ultimate goal of the foundation is that the Focused N F.I.T. For A Different World conference, to be a national annual program of Financial & Technological Literacy for LMI students and their families.
July 21, 2018
The A New Day Foundation hosted 20 Teen Boys ages 13 – 19 at the Bill Pickett Invitational Rodeo in the City Of Industry. The Bill Pickett Rodeo is an Internationally Acclaimed Rodeo, featuring four generations of the finest African American Cowboy & Cowgirl Bronco Busters, Bull Riders, Trick Riding and Team Competing Horsemen ever seen! It was a great day of family fun, and an experience like non other! The MenTORS were treated to a private lunch, where they also had the opportunity to share & discuss Relevant Situations and Personal Concerns with our adult group leaders, participate in motivational & empowering, self awareness & growth exercises, as well as a personal visit from several of the Rodeo Cowboys, free of charge to the Teens!
* This event was presented in partnership with the IX Winds Ranch Foundation 501c.3.
A New Day Concert For A Cause: The Entertainment Family Gives Back
This bi-annual event is a unique All-Star concert experience, featuring 40+ celebrity Musicians, Civic Leaders, Singers, Artists & Performers, generously DONATING their performance/appearance to raise awareness & financial support for community based non-profit organizations that serve the Inner City Community. Past beneficiaries: Los Angeles Urban League, EMPOWHER Institute, K.I.S.Foundation For Sickle Cell Disease.” Featured performances/appearances by: Dawnn Lewis (Co-Host; Vocalist), Nolan V. Rollins (Fmr CEO, LAUL), Donald Driver (Co-Host), Patrice Rushen (Musical Director), Jeffrey Polk (Director), Ki Ki Shepherd (K.I.S. Foundation), Betty LaMarr (EMPOWHER), Angie Fisher, Erica Campbell, Paul Jackson Jr., Alphonso Johnson, Kevin Piccard, Tone Loc, Doug E Fresh, Congresswoman Maxine Waters, DJ Malski, Ellis Hall, Erica Ash, Michael Jai White, Glynn & Jo An Turman, Melissa B!, Jim Pickens Jr., Jason George, Dule Hill, Tyrel Jackson Williams, Tylen Jacob Williams, Angela & Leroy Williams, Jay Lamont, Euge Groove, Major Crimes Cast: G.W. Bailey, Kearran Giovanni, Tony Denison, Phillip P. Keene & 94.7The Wave Radio.
Several times a year, Dawnn Lewis hosts Self Esteem, Self Awareness and Image Building outings for Teen Girls in groups of 8 – 20 at a time. At each outing, a small group of women 21 and over, joins her to create a safe space for these hard to reach teens to share & discuss difficult subjects, teach them etiquette, cooking, fellowship, self esteem, while exposing them to new experiences, cultural opportunities, guest speakers, and more.